Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Check Off the Bucket list


This last week we took a family vacation to New Orleans, LA. New Orleans feels a lot like home. Familiar streets, familar faces, familiar food! I've been wanting to take Mark there since we met... and finally he got to experience a part of my family he never has.

My favorites (in this order):


1. Getting pictures of my kids with their Great Grandparents. (And visiting with these grandparents.)
2. Seeing Parker run around my grandparent's house with my cousin's kids- just like I used to run around with those same cousins.

3. Showing Mark and Parker the town- seeing them make memories in the same places I have so many memories.




My Maternal Grandparents, Reid and Jewel, in New Orleans


My Paternal Grandma, Betty, in Mississippi



Parker's favorites:
1. Grandma Betty's house in Mississippi. He sweat-ed it out all day chasing dogs, cats, frogs, lizards, hornets, etc. Little boys are made for the country.

2. Alligators on the swamp tour and the sharks at the aquarium.

3. Riding airplanes, buses, a train, boat, and ferry all within a weeks time!





Parker was a sweaty mess the entire trip.)



Mark's favorites:
1. The food, the music, and the architecture of the French Quarter.
2. Experiencing the greenery and country pace of Mississippi.

Ben's Favorite:


1. Always having someone's arms available.




This post doesn't near capture the flavor of New Orleans! I wish I could pass on the taste and sounds thru blogger. But I can not. You should just add a trip to the Big Easy to your bucketlist! Be sure to get some po boys, beignets, crawfish, shrimp, jambalaya, Hubigs, snoballs........

5 comments:

Evaly said...

Wow- what a cool trip! I didn't know you guys were going out there. Sounds like you had a good time :)

April Hardy said...

You said what I have tried to explain to Drew a hundred times. Nothing in our life was ever consistent (growing up) and the one thing that was was N.O. Every summer, some holidays- were spent there. It always felt like home going there. We had friends because of how often we visited and loads of family there. Plus living there for a short time. I can't wait to take my fam down there. You've given me the itch now! :)

Bianca said...

You just got me excited to see my grandparents - we are shooting for 2012. We will be going to Kentucky! And DC where my uncle and brother live. I'm excited to take the fam to another part of my childhood... A completely different part of where I grew up & all the memories.... Sounds like you guys had fun!

Kristine said...

I love that you say New Orleans feels like home. Some of my fondest memories here are from your visits; sleepovers at grandma and grandpa's house, swimming in their pool; eating snowballs, and taking walks around the block. I wish we had more time to spend with you while you were here. :)

Cindy Ardis said...

I am so glad I got to be there while you were there! Grandma and grandpa were so happy you were there! It was a fun week.